A DYNAMIC COLLABORATION with our Koch sister company, Flint Hills Resources (FHR), has resulted in a line of quality additives for the asphalt industry.
TUFFTREK products combine Georgia-Pacific Chemicals’ capabilities in chemical innovation, manufacturing and marketing with FHR’s extensive application knowledge to provide the asphalt producer with cost-effective performance products. Our nationwide manufacturing capability means additional effectiveness for keeping delivery costs low in your specific locations.
In addition to current TUFFTREK products, extensive development work is being done to expand this product line to provide more options and performance additives for asphalt producers. Contact us to learn about our growing product portfolio.
Through our chemical innovation, these products can provide performance and cost savings over aromatic and base oil modifiers. We collaborate closely with customers to provide the product needed for their specifications. Biobased, renewable, and non-hazardous, our modifiers represent a range of products that can lower dosage needed to achieve lower PG while increasing levels of impact on ΔTc.
TUFFTREK 4002 Modifier has the ability to:
- Achieve multiple grades with single grade of asphalt
- Adjust stored/aged asphalt to desired spec
- Achieve PG improvement with less modifier
- Achieve higher performance with lower-cost asphalt
- Add in-line for ease of incorporation
- Attain low PG asphalts for some blend stocks
- Utilize a high flash point and low toxicity modifier
- Limit effects on mass loss
- Improve compatibility of SBS polymer in PMAC
|ASPHALT||TUFFTREK 4002||Aromatic Oil||Base Oil|
|PG Grade Reduction||Low dosage required to reduce PG||Nearly 3x additional modifier required to achieve same low PG reduction||Nearly 15% additional modifier required to achieve same low PG reduction|
|40 hr PAV ΔTc||Greatest impact on ΔTc. Improvement maintained at high dosage level||Moderate Impact on ΔTc||Low impact on ΔTc at low dosage Detrimental to ΔTc at high dosage|
|HSE||Biobased, renewable resource. Not hazardous to health or the environment||Non-renewable||Non-renewable|
TUFFTREK Recycling Agent
TUFFTREK 4002 stabilizes asphaltenes for improved compatibility with the maltene phase. This feature enables the incorporation of aged asphalt from RAP and RAS (Recycled Asphalt Pavement and Recycled Asphalt Shingles) without the detrimental impacts of high asphaltene contribution from oxidized recycled binder.
TUFFTREK 4002 technology recycling agent benefits include:
- Restorative improvements to ∆Tc phase angle, and Glover Rowe of Pressure Aging Vessel (PAV) aged asphalt
- Formulations with improved rutting resistance
- Resistance to long term PAV aging
- Improves Hot Mix Asphalt (HMA) moisture damage resistance
- Improves binder low temperature fracture strength
- Less mass loss compared to some petrochemical-based alternatives
- Biobased, renewable and not hazardous
- Cost-effective, low dosages to achieve performance
TUFFTREK ANTISTRIP ADDITIVES
Although only recently marketed under the TUFFTREK name, TUFFTREK 2001 liquid amine antistrip has a long history of use in the asphalt industry. It has demonstrated effectiveness at low dosage (0.5%). Koch companies are back-integrated in amine production resulting in cost-effective and reliable manufacturing capabilities and supply.
|Flash Point, ⁰C (⁰F)||open cup 121 (250)|
|Boiling Point, ⁰C (⁰F)||100 mm Hg, with decomposition 249 (480)|
Currently, Georgia-Pacific Chemicals markets crude tall oil (CTO) for anionic emulsions. TUFFTREK 3100 crude tall oil emulsifier contains 100% USDA certified biobased content. It is available for worldwide distribution.
Our dedicated asphalt emulsion lab services can assist you in formulating and evaluating TUFFTREK emulsifiers with your base asphalt.
We continue to create innovative products to enhance our customers’ operations and provide them with options in the asphalt industry. We are currently developing a cationic rapid setting emulsion to add to our portfolio of products.
The USDA Certified Biobased Product label is a certification mark of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.